Sep 21, 2022
Are you sidelined? 5 Steps of Staying Sane through an Injury
So, some of us have been there before where you have had an injury that caused you to be sidelined. I had this experience several times between an ankle sprain, rib strain, plantar fasciitis, and so on. This can cause a strain on your life if you are used to doing the activity. For me, it was everything because at that time fitness was a way of life for me and continues to be.
When I learned that I couldn’t do anything then it was as if my whole life had gone down the drain. Now let me tell you all the different forms of activity that I typically do. I run, do CrossFit, do yoga, sometimes African dance (haven’t been in a while), swim lessons, bike, and engage in other fitness activities. At one point in my fitness journey, I was told that I couldn’t do any of the above. So, imagine my face, my mouth dropped as I didn’t know what in the world, I was going to do with myself. I was so afraid that I was going to go into a depressed state of just sadness and sorrow that the very thing that makes me happy I couldn’t do anymore. So how did I last through this time? Here is how
5 Steps of staying SANE through an INJURY
- You have more time available so really put that time towards something else. Try on some other activities or things that you’ve always wanted to do. I focused on really meditating.
- Focus on healing. It is important that you follow the doctor’s orders and focus on getting better. In other words, this would mean doing the things that the doctor orders you to do, whether it is icing, heating, taking meds, or doing rehabilitation.
- Focus on your nutrition. People are often misled and don’t truly understand the importance of nutrition not only for weight loss but also from an injury perspective. How you eat can determine how fast you will recover from an injury.
- Spend time with family, friends, and loved ones who often and sadly get pushed over to the side when you are truly training for an event or race.
- Most importantly focus on the overall healthy state, mind-body, and soul. So, this is the time that you look at your healthy lifestyle and ask yourself, “What areas do you need to improve on? Rewrite goals that not only include fitness but also some personal, family, financial, and career goals.
When you begin to incorporate overall wellness into your healthy lifestyle you are not just focusing on your body but also focusing on your mind and soul.
Injuries can cause so much disheartening to you and can be very difficult to stay focused on your healthy journey, but you can overcome these hard times. It takes developing a positive mindset and focusing your mind on becoming a healthier YOU.
By: Felicia. R. Hall @feliciarhall
Felicia is an educator and motivator at heart. Felicia is a Certified Athletic Trainer, Corrective Exercise Specialist, Run & Fitness Coach, RYT 200 Yoga Instructor, Educator, and a doctoral candidate. She is a small-town girl who loves running, nature, and helping others become the best version of themselves.