My honey absolutely LOVES Italian food, so this week I took one of his favorite dishes and gave it a calorie reducing makeover. Initially I got the idea to make this dish after seeing a couple of Paleo lasagna recipes on Pinterest. I'm not Paleo, but ff you want to make this recipe Paleo, substitute the cheese for cashew cheese or just take it out all together. Now that I think about it, the substitutions really go for the recipe as a whole. Feel free to add and subtract ingredients to your heart's desire. I think there are other vegetables like eggplant and mushrooms that I will add when I make this again.
For the noodle layers:
4 zucchini, sliced into 1/8 inch noodles
3 cups of spinach
For the filling:
1-2 lbs free range ground turkey or ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
2 cups of low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Using a really sharp knife, slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch lasagna noodles.
3. In a large skillet, sauté the garlic, onion, and oregano over medium high heat in a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the onions are soft, add the ground turkey (or ground beef).
4. When the turkey is browned add the pasta sauce and simmer.
5. Create a a single layer of zucchini noodles at the bottom of your casserole dish. Top with half of the spinach and spread evenly.
6. Top with half of the meat filling.
7. Mix the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl. Spread half of the mixture on top of the meat filling layer.
8. Layer on the remaining zucchini noodles and spinach, then add the remaining filling and cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes, and then broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden on top.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.