Do you ever have a moment when you ask yourself “What the heck am I doing?” This was the internal conflict I had last night while running head on into the blistering cold wind. After about a mile, I looked around and realized that not only was I the only black person out running, but there were only about 5 others runners, including a crazy white guy in shorts.
Not one to be negative or a defeatist, I decided to compile a list of reasons that I should continue running outside and not retreat to the warmth of the gym and the dreadful treadmill.
1. Frostbite can’t be that bad
– I’ve never been frostbitten. But, I do know that you don’t REALLY need ten fingers and ten toes.
– After a few weeks of winter running, I’m starting to look like Dave Chappel’s character, Tyrone Biggums. I’ve tried Carmex, ChapStick and plain ‘ole Vaseline. All three are working ok, but hopefully I can find something a little stronger.
3. No one can see your ashy skin when you are wearing sweaters and turtlenecks
– I have very dry skin, so I have to use Eucerin, Nivea or Vaseline to knock the ash off. Just like the chapped lips, this is not very sexy and I will stay covered up until spring.
4. Treadmillls are dangerous
– Have you ever tripped and busted your behind on a treadmill? I have. Don’t laugh. Seriously, stop laughing, because the experience was very traumatizing. Now every time I run on one, I have to clutch the rail with one hand, and I won’t even start the machine without pinning the safety key to my shirt.
Alright ladies, who’s sticking it out with me and running in the winter weather?
Originally posted December 11, 2009
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.